Barkstall is a vibrant place where students, teachers, families, and community come together to nurture student success through integrated Arts Education. Our goal is to prepare each student to become a responsible contributor to our diverse and changing society.
8:55 AM - 3:10 PM
2019-2020 School Supply List:
School Choice ThemeOur "Academics Through the Arts" fosters student success by meeting the learning differences (multiple intelligences, learning styles, and special needs) of students. Students are able to explore their creative and critical thinking skills. We are a community of creators. We learn through the Arts.
Unit 4 News
- School closure extended through April 30
- Remote learning, chromebook distribution and food distribution change
- Unit 4 midweek update (3/25/20)
- Unit 4's Board of Education meeting on Monday, March 23 will be conducted virtually
- School closure extended until April 8
- Important update for Unit 4 Families for March 23-30
- Unit 4 closes Windsor Administrative and Mellon Buildings to the public
- Food distribution plan during school closure
- Governor announces closure of all Illinois Schools
- 12 p.m. UPDATE -- Unit 4 message regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
Barkstall is a balanced school, equally providing an academic and social emotional curriculum to enrich our school community. We are dedicated to ensuring success for each student by integrating music, drama, visual arts, dance, and creative writing into the traditional curriculum. Thematic units are carefully planned at each level to help students become skilled in making connections between curriculum and real life. The focal point of our unique educational opportunity is to provide a rich learning environment and excellence in student learning.
Barkstall Elementary opened in 1998 and is named after Vernon L. Barkstall. Mr. Barkstall was co-founder of the all-black radio station, WBCP, and executive director of the Urban League of Champaign County. The design of the school, classroom configuration, and advanced technology reflect the community's vision of education for the future. We have a commitment to an exemplary curriculum which emphasizes high expectations for all students and blends the arts with academic skills.