Barkstall is a vibrant place where students, teachers, families, and community come together to nurture student success through integrated Arts Education. Our goal is to prepare each student to become a responsible contributor to our diverse and changing society.
8:55 AM - 3:10 PM
2019-2020 School Supply List:
School Choice ThemeOur "Academics Through the Arts" fosters student success by meeting the learning differences (multiple intelligences, learning styles, and special needs) of students. Students are able to explore their creative and critical thinking skills. We are a community of creators. We learn through the Arts.
Unit 4 News
- Edison 8th grade Boys Basketball team wins 3rd in State
- No School Friday, Feb. 14, 2020
- Three Unit 4 students named National Merit Scholarship finalists
- Unit 4 2019 Annual Report released in hybrid print and electronic format
- Board of Education Confirms Administrative Appointment to Fill Vacancy
- Parent reminder: 5Essentials survey deadline approaching
- Reduced bus service for Thurs., Feb. 6, 2020
- School to resume as normal at Central High School on Wed., Feb. 5
- NO SCHOOL for Champaign Central H.S. Students on Tuesday, Feb. 4
- Learning more about ALICE Drills: ALICE training for parents
Barkstall is a balanced school, equally providing an academic and social emotional curriculum to enrich our school community. We are dedicated to ensuring success for each student by integrating music, drama, visual arts, dance, and creative writing into the traditional curriculum. Thematic units are carefully planned at each level to help students become skilled in making connections between curriculum and real life. The focal point of our unique educational opportunity is to provide a rich learning environment and excellence in student learning.
Barkstall Elementary opened in 1998 and is named after Vernon L. Barkstall. Mr. Barkstall was co-founder of the all-black radio station, WBCP, and executive director of the Urban League of Champaign County. The design of the school, classroom configuration, and advanced technology reflect the community's vision of education for the future. We have a commitment to an exemplary curriculum which emphasizes high expectations for all students and blends the arts with academic skills.