School MissionBarkstall is a vibrant place where students, teachers, parents and the community come together to nurture student success through integrated Arts Education. It is our goal to prepare each student to become a responsible participant to our diverse, changing society. We are committed to promoting student learning and academic achievement, enhancing social skills, promoting physical development and emotional well-being, encouraging critical thinking and problem solving, and stimulating creativity.
School Choice ThemeOur "Academics Through the Arts" fosters student success by meeting the learning differences (multiple intelligences, learning styles, and special needs) of students. Students are able to explore their creative and critical thinking skills. We are a community of creators. We learn through the Arts.
Unit 4 News
- U4 Board of Education Approves Seven Administrative Appointments
- Two Centennial Track Athletes Qualify For State
- Those Who Teach, Can - May 20
- Unit 4 School District Summer Meal Site Information
- South Side Students "Bring The Change" for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Three Unit 4 Teachers selected as Napleton's Teacher of the Year!
- Centennial High School Engineering Scholars Shine
- CALLBACKS - One Last Aldridge Show
- Unit 4 Board Approves Three Administrative Appointments
- Edison Middle School & Unit 4 Receive The Pro Patria Award
Barkstall is a balanced school, equally providing an academic and social emotional curriculum to enrich our school community. We are dedicated to ensuring success for each student by integrating music, drama, visual arts, dance, and creative writing into the traditional curriculum. Thematic units are carefully planned at each level to help students become skilled in making connections between curriculum and real life. The focal point of our unique educational opportunity is to provide a rich learning environment and excellence in student learning.
Barkstall Elementary opened in 1998 and is named after Vernon L. Barkstall. Mr. Barkstall was co-founder of the all-black radio station, WBCP, and executive director of the Urban League of Champaign County. The design of the school, classroom configuration, and advanced technology reflect the community's vision of education for the future. We have a commitment to an exemplary curriculum which emphasizes high expectations for all students and blends the arts with academic skills.