School MissionBarkstall is a vibrant place where students, teachers, parents and the community come together to nurture student success through integrated Arts Education. It is our goal to prepare each student to become a responsible participant to our diverse, changing society. We are committed to promoting student learning and academic achievement, enhancing social skills, promoting physical development and emotional well-being, encouraging critical thinking and problem solving, and stimulating creativity.
School Choice ThemeOur "Academics Through the Arts" fosters student success by meeting the learning differences (multiple intelligences, learning styles, and special needs) of students. Students are able to explore their creative and critical thinking skills. We are a community of creators. We learn through the Arts.
Unit 4 News
- Champaign Unit 4 School District Hires Two Capital Projects Managers
- Kindergarten registration happening now through March 29
- Mark Your Calendar: Kindergarten Registration Begins January 1, 2018
- District to hold public hearing on physical education waiver
- Centennial High School announces inaugural class of Athletic Hall of Fame
- Taking Action on Lead
- Bottenfield teacher Amber Owens one of 15 Illinois teachers selected for policy fellowship
- District awarded $9.6 million magnet grant
- Central High School to dismiss early, Tuesday September 26
Barkstall is a balanced school, equally providing an academic and social emotional curriculum to enrich our school community. We are dedicated to ensuring success for each student by integrating music, drama, visual arts, dance, and creative writing into the traditional curriculum. Thematic units are carefully planned at each level to help students become skilled in making connections between curriculum and real life. The focal point of our unique educational opportunity is to provide a rich learning environment and excellence in student learning.
Barkstall Elementary opened in 1998 and is named after Vernon L. Barkstall. Mr. Barkstall was co-founder of the all-black radio station, WBCP, and executive director of the Urban League of Champaign County. The design of the school, classroom configuration, and advanced technology reflect the community's vision of education for the future. We have a commitment to an exemplary curriculum which emphasizes high expectations for all students and blends the arts with academic skills.