School MissionBarkstall is a vibrant place where students, teachers, parents and the community come together to nurture student success through integrated Arts Education. It is our goal to prepare each student to become a responsible participant to our diverse, changing society. We are committed to promoting student learning and academic achievement, enhancing social skills, promoting physical development and emotional well-being, encouraging critical thinking and problem solving, and stimulating creativity.
School Choice ThemeOur "Academics Through the Arts" fosters student success by meeting the learning differences (multiple intelligences, learning styles, and special needs) of students. Students are able to explore their creative and critical thinking skills. We are a community of creators. We learn through the Arts.
Unit 4 News
- Unit 4 Welcomes New Director of Facilities
- Get Ready for Kindergarten
- Champaign Unit 4 Welcomes Two New Administrators
- Schedule Your School Physical Today
- Annual Kick-Off Celebration For Summer Youth Employment Program
- Early College and Career Academy Students Recognized
- Unit 4 Summer AP Boot Camps Open for Registration
- Summer Exhibition to Honor Rising Artists
- U4 Board of Education Approves Seven Administrative Appointments
- Two Centennial Track Athletes Qualify For State
Barkstall is a balanced school, equally providing an academic and social emotional curriculum to enrich our school community. We are dedicated to ensuring success for each student by integrating music, drama, visual arts, dance, and creative writing into the traditional curriculum. Thematic units are carefully planned at each level to help students become skilled in making connections between curriculum and real life. The focal point of our unique educational opportunity is to provide a rich learning environment and excellence in student learning.
Barkstall Elementary opened in 1998 and is named after Vernon L. Barkstall. Mr. Barkstall was co-founder of the all-black radio station, WBCP, and executive director of the Urban League of Champaign County. The design of the school, classroom configuration, and advanced technology reflect the community's vision of education for the future. We have a commitment to an exemplary curriculum which emphasizes high expectations for all students and blends the arts with academic skills.